How do we stop our skin from aging so rapidly? As we grow older, skin cells regenerate more slowly, which makes it difficult to repair itself. Our skin thins because of fewer hormones. The skin becomes drier and more fragile.
Stock up on the following foods to help your skin stay younger looking:
- Berries: These can help with sun damage
- Kiwis: Vitamin C helps fight free radicals
- Green or White Tea: Protects skin from sagging & provides antioxidants
- Flaxseed Oil: Keeps skin moist & toned
- Greens: Helps prevent calcification with vitamin K
- Dark Chocolate: Gives skin a youthful appearance & protects you from UV light
- Tomatoes: Lycopene protects from UV radiation
- Carrots: Vitamin A helps the skin from appearing dry & scaly
- Avocadoes: Vitamin E helps reduce the sun’s harmful effects and combats collagen breakdown
If you eat a healthy diet of all of these foods, you can help your skin look more youthful and vibrant! Eating healthy is always better than trying to get everything from supplements.
Image courtesy of stockimages at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Before you buy yogurt, be sure to take a moment to read the label. You may be surprised by the number of highly processed ingredients in your favorite yogurt, according to Green Med Info:
• Sugar (sometimes as much as 8 or more teaspoons!)
• High Fructose Corn Syrup
• Modified Corn Starch
• Caramel Color
• Chemical preservatives
• Artificial Flavor
• Artificial food colors
• Genetically modified ingredients
Many of these ingredients can damage your health and cause behavioral and neurological problems. Also, if you have an intolerance to dairy or casein, it can cause sinus issues, digestive issues, gas, and inflammation, which can lead to a variety of problems that we don’t want. Be an informed consumer by reading the labels.
Image courtesy of KEKO64 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Business is booming (that’s a good thing!!!) and I got a little behind on my blog — sorry about that! But then a wonderful thing happened: I received an inquiry from one of my faithful readers, Joel Cordle, who asked if I’d be open to an article from him as a guest blogger! So a big THANK YOU goes out to Joel for his article below on the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar!
Vinegar has been used for many years and is a regular part of any household kitchen. It is used for many types of cooking, and almost every culture uses vinegar in one way or another. Vinegar is not only a condiment to add taste to your food, but research also proves that it has many healthy benefits.
Apple cider vinegar is the most popular in the vinegar family. Apart from health benefits, apple cider vinegar apparently also has beauty benefits that make it hard to pass up. Here are a few beauty and grooming uses for apple cider vinegar:
Prevents pimples and acne
Acne and pimples are unpleasant, especially for adults who have no time to deal with these breakouts. Studies show that apple cider vinegar can remove breakouts of acne and pimples, as well as prevent them from recurring. This is because apple cider contains bacteria fighting contents and reduces inflammation.
Cleans teeth stains
Apple cider vinegar has healthy acid properties that can help clean stained teeth without damaging them. Teeth stains are driven by tooth decay or smoking and can mark the teeth that may seem unlikely to be removed. Regular use of apple cider vinegar through cleaning the teeth can help with removing these stains. White teeth are paired better with teeth straightening techniques to give you a bright smile.
Heals bruises faster
Bruises caused by bumps can only increase the pain in that area because of the blood that has collected. In most cases, you will only need to unravel the blood clot to remove the bruise. For faster healing, apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water and applied to the bruised area will help enhance and clear the blood flow. This will help clear the bruise faster.
Apple cider vinegar is a popular and proven to be an effective home remedy for sunburn. For some, it is even used for prevention of sunburn. It is regarded as the “natural sunburn lotion” because of its skin-healing properties for burns and blisters. Apple cider vinegar prevents blistering and peeling of the skin from long exposures to the sun. It also prevents inflammation that can be brought about by sunburn.
Removes and prevents dandruff
Dandruff is a common predicament plaguing teens and adults. This is mostly caused by oil in our hair and boosted by the oily food we eat. Apple cider vinegar has been tested and proven to be an effective agent in fighting dandruff and balancing the oil in your hair. To get the most effect, apply apple cider vinegar to your scalp at night and wash out thoroughly in the morning. This will help balance the acid and oil properties of the hair, thus preventing dandruff.
Apple cider vinegar is an effective treatment for blisters and calluses, which are familiar issues, especially during hot days. Foot odor can also occur during these warm days when our feet sweat inside our shoes. A 10-minute apple cider vinegar foot soak can soften the feet to help remove calluses and can prevent sweatiness, which is the main cause of foot odor.
The incredible benefits of apple cider vinegar to your health and beauty make it an even tastier addition to your diet. Remember to squeeze this special seasoning into your recipes to get the most benefits from it.
Joel Cordle loves reading and writing blogs on health and beauty. He writes on fitness tips, skin care, teeth whitening, teeth straightening, and more. A good advisor, Joel enjoys teaching people how to stay healthy by using natural rather than artificial methods.
Yes, we all live in a fast world these days, and, yes, sometimes we get tired. Many people, though, make food choices that can cause them to feel fatigued instead of energized. Because we feel rushed and don’t always find time to cook, we go through the drive-thru or eat other fast food on the run. Or maybe we go to a restaurant and make unhealthy choices full of GMOs, refined sugar, bad fats, inflammatory ingredients and more…
You don’t just wake up with low energy or a disease like cancer, diabetes, or high blood pressure. This happens over time, one bite at a time! Many meals are eaten before these things happen. Our energy suffers and we feel tired all the time. Caffeine and sugar are what we grab to keep us going–maybe that candy bar, doughnut or can of pop… whatever we think may get us through. Even an organic ice tea or a latte full of sugar!
Some causes of low energy:
• Inflammation from eating the wrong foods like GMOs, sugar, gluten, and more
• Depletion from not getting the right nutrients
• Toxification by eating foods full of pesticides, hormones and antibiotics
• Chemicals that build up in the body in every way
As you can see, it’s easy to get fatigued in our world today! What we eat will either give us energy or take it from us. There is a way to get into balance and feel more energy while eating delicious AND healthy foods!!!!
Start by replacing some of your ingredients with healthier options and see what happens. I can help you if you need it – There IS light at the end of the tunnel!
Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Here are just some of the symptoms of chronic inflammation:
- Feeling stiff & sore
- Swollen joints
Believe it or not, FOOD is the culprit most of the time! Here are some of the offenders:
- SUGAR: Damages your digestive track and inflames you
- ALCOHOL: In excess, damages your liver and gut flora
- GRAINS: Even more so if you are Gluten Sensitive. Phytic Acid and Lectins are hard on everyone!
- REFINED OILS: Canola, Soybean, Corn, and Safflower have inflammatory byproducts. These can also be GMO!
- PASTEURIZED DAIRY: Approximately 75% of people are intolerant to dairy. The pasteurization process destroys healthy bacteria and enzymes in raw milk and makes it hard to digest! Casein is similar to gluten and can cause problems.
Finding out what is causing inflammation in your body can help you maintain a healthy system and become proactive with your health!
Processed food contains an oil that can be damaging to our bodies: partially hydrogenated soybean oil. This is trans fat, which is one of the worst fats you can ingest. Most soy is also genetically modified, which is a whole other story. It is hydrogenated to prolong its shelf life.
Here are some of the health hazards of this trans fat:
- Decreased Immune Function
- Cancer Risk
- Cholesterol Problems
- Heart Disease
- Auto-Immune Issues
Foods can contain up to ½ gram and be labeled trans fat-free. This can add up to more than you should have.
Soybean oil is not a healthy oil. It is primarily an omega-6 fat. We consume far too much of this type of fat and not enough omega-3 fat. This can produce inflammation in the body which can then lead to disease.
Other problems with soy:
- Phytic Acid
Bottom Line: Don’t eat processed food. Use healthier fats like organic butter, ghee, or coconut oil. Get your omega-3’s in with olive oil, avocado, chia seeds, etc.
Image courtesy of franky242 at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
You probably don’t consider yourself to be a drug addict like the typical addicts you see on TV shooting up or looking for their next fix. Truth is, though, you have been drugged up for most of your life. You’ve been doing this by ingesting an opiate similar to heroin or morphine, and you’ve been getting it at breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks!
According to Dr. William Davis, author of Wheat Belly, “You’ve been cleverly disguising your opiate of choice as muffins, bagels, cereals, and sandwiches!” One of the dark issues of modern wheat, the addictive mind effects of gliadin protein can really be trouble.
If you eat a sandwich on whole wheat bread (which we are taught to eat as healthy), the gliadin protein turns into exorphins, or exogenously-derived morphine-like compounds. These exorphins cross into the brain and bind to opiate receptors to produce opiate-like effects.
This causes addict-like behavior and appetite stimulation. BUT, your appetite isn’t stimulated to eat salmon and asparagus; instead, you go for chips, cookies, donuts, etc.!
If you stop eating it, you can actually go through withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, headache, anxiety, etc., that can last a few days.
Like sugar, wheat is in most processed foods. So, just as the drug dealer knows you’ll be back for your next hit, the food industry knows you will be back for your next bite of pretzels or bread.
Also, wheat can be sprayed with glyphosphate, which is in Round-Up! And that can’t be good for anyone!
It’s important to be proactive and prevent disease as you age. You want to feel great and have a good quality of life so you can enjoy all the fun things and be around for your kids and grandkids. Being aware of what you’re eating, as the right choices play an important part in disease prevention.
Image courtesy of Piyachok Thawornmat at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
For many years we have been told to avoid fat and lower our cholesterol. But what’s true and what’s not?
Below are some Fat Lies:
- A Low-Fat Diet is best to help you lose weight. It isn’t the fat that’s the problem — it’s the sugar! Butter substitutes and foods loaded with sugar are now on the shelves and promoted as healthy!
- Eggs are bad for you. This has been pounded into our heads for a while. Lots of people were eating egg-white omelets, etc., and avoiding the yolks! Organic eggs are actually good for us and are packed with good nutrition.
- Focus on Cholesterol. This is only part of the equation. Inflammation can cause cholesterol to go up to patch up arteries. If cholesterol is too low, it can cause other health issues.
- Oils from Seeds & Vegetables are good for you. Soybean, Cottonseed & Canola Oils are high in Omega 6. These are harmful if consuming too much and they are added to many foods, even healthy foods.
- Saturated Fat causes heart disease. These studies from years ago are flawed. Some saturated fats, like coconut oil, are good for us.
- Eating Fat makes you fat. High fat/low carb diets increase good cholesterol, lower glucose, stabilize insulin, and promote the loss of Belly Fat. High sugar diets can cause Belly Fat and weight gain.
- If it’s labeled “Low-Fat”, it’s good for you. When they take out the fat, they often replace it with more sugar! This promotes weight gain.
Four Unhealthy Oils To Avoid
- Canola Oil
Use Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Ghee, etc. when cooking.
Image courtesy of Master isolated images at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Sometimes it seems like getting healthy is really expensive. When you actually look at what you are spending on other things that don’t serve you, getting healthy may be easier and less expensive than you think! Let’s look at some reasons why it may be more affordable to get healthy than to stay on an unhealthy path:
- Your energy is higher when you are eating healthy. When you make poor food choices, you are less productive and your body stores fat! The opposite of that is staying focused and energized to get everything done and not feel like a slug. You can also handle stress better!
- You save money on skincare products! Optimal skin, hair, and nail health start on the inside and show on the outside.
- You don’t spend money on medications when you are healthy. You get rid of bloating, gas, constipation, and indigestion when you are eating what you should. Some medications can be very pricey!
- You don’t get sick as often. Taking sick days costs you money and puts you behind, not to mention how bad and tired you feel. You might also miss out on all the fun.
- You don’t buy clothes to cover up weak areas. Instead, where are those “skinny jeans”?
- You can work out at home and save money. You don’t need to pay lots of money to an expensive workout place when you can walk, dance, use hand weights, etc., without leaving home.
- You actually cut your food expenses! Fast food won’t appeal to you once you start eating healthy. You can shop in season, visit farmers markets, focus on healthy foods, and stop buying the processed stuff to save money. For less than an expensive coffee drink, you can whip up a great healthy meal that will help you lose “Belly Fat!”
Now you see that it pays to get healthy and find out what is best for your body. That doughnut, pastry, cake, potato chips, bread, etc., tastes good for a moment… but you pay the price right when you are done and long afterward.
If you are not already on the road to wellness and vibrant health, it’s never too late!
GMO = Genetically Modified Organism
I showed a movie a couple months ago called “Genetic Roulette.” When a bug takes a bite out of GMO corn, its stomach explodes! When WE eat it, it hurts our stomach lining over time, over & over again. This leads to food sensitivities, infections, etc. No wonder there are so many allergies these days!
We don’t put GMO ingredients on our labels in the United States. Other countries do and won’t take our foods because of our GMO ingredients. Here are 6 ways to avoid GMOs so we can take our health back:
Corn, Canola, Soy, Cottonseed: Avoid these ingredients unless they are organic or say non-GMO. Watch for soy lecithin, soy protein, food starch, textured vegetable protein, and mixed tocopherols (vitamin E).
Code number on Produce: Avoid those that begin with the number 8. The ones with 9 are organic. Stick with those.
Sugars: Sugar beets are GMO.
Artificial Sweeteners: Aspartame or Nutrasweet is made by using GM bacterial strains of E. Coli!
Additives: Some xanthan gum, citric acid, maltodextrin, lactic acid, dextrose, caramel color, baking powder, malt syrup, modified food starch, sorbitol, stearic acid.
Dairy Products: Any non-organic or those that do not contain a “No rBGH” label . It’s created using GMO E. Coli just like Nutrasweet!
You need to be a food detective to be a healthy person these days. It’s well worth it, though. Being informed is half the battle! Bob’s Red Mill has non-GMO ingredients.