Black Beans and Rice
This recipe serves: 8
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 4 cups steamed brown rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper, seeded and minced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- veggies of choice
- Soak the beans in water overnight in the refrigerator. Drain the beans and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, green pepper and jalapeno pepper, season lightly with black pepper and cook until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the bay leaf, beans and broth and bring to a boil quickly over high heat.
- Lower the heat and simmer until the beans are completely tender, about 40 minutes.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat the rice.
- Serve the rice in warm bowls topped with beans and garnished with lime wedges and cilantro leaves. Add veggies!
- NOTE: Do not add salt until the beans are fully cooked because salt will prevent them from becoming tender.
(Enjoyed this recipe? Great! You can grab the entire Recipe 4 Wellness collection in our book, titled “GLUTEN FREE LIVING”)