Here is an article that I wrote as a guest blogger on $5 Dinners in March 2012.
It is possible to eat healthy on a budget. You just have to do some planning and adjusting to your regular way of eating.
What you put into your body makes all the difference in the world. You want to make sure that you are having nutritious, delicious food most of the time you have a meal or a snack.
I have been on a path to eating healthy, delicious tasting foods that I have learned how to tweak so that I can still enjoy chocolate, pizza, pasta, and foods from my childhood. I enjoy eating and lots of flavor in my food!
Here are some tips on getting started:
- Plan ahead. Prepare meals on the weekend or when you get a chance and freeze the extras for later in the week.
- Purchase only fresh, frozen and real food and forget about the rest.
- Cook more and eat out less.
- Get the kids in the kitchen with you and have fun!
- Try new recipes.
- Replace sugar and white flour with a healthy sweetener like raw agave nectar and whole grain flours.
- Make sweet treats/snacks ahead so you have something to satisfy you.
- Make sure your meat/dairy has no antibiotics or hormones , nitrates, etc.
- Look out for chemicals in everything!
- Buy healthy things on sale and stock up.
- Purchase fruit/vegetables at your local farmers market when possible.
- Don’t buy pre-packaged mixes, even when they appear to be healthy because they are usually full of sugar and have no fiber! You can find some occasionally that would be o.k.
- Make lots of casseroles, soups, etc.
- Prepare a large organic chicken with vegetables and use the leftovers for other meals.
- Make quick pizzas on whole grain tortillas and leftover vegetables, meats.
- Have a meatless meal at times and use organic eggs, beans as protein.
- Keep wild caught salmon, tuna or crabmeat in packages or cans on hand for a quick meal of salmon patties, tuna patties, crabcakes, etc.
- Be creative and have fun always! Enjoy eating healthy and be adventurous.
Karen Russell, Certified Health Coach Schedule your free consultation today!